Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Taking Care Of Special Needs

Taking Care Of Special Needs
 
Joshua helping Justin put-put.
I have been watching the interaction between Joshua and Justin at the High School as they walk ahead of me toward Justin's class.  With all the talking and laughing, they look more like two good friends hanging out than brothers.  Over the years, their relationship has grown stronger and I've come to realize Joshua has become an important part of Justin's life.  Even though I take care of Justin's "special needs", Joshua takes care of Justin's "normal needs."
 
Being a teenager and young adult is an awkward time in anyone's life as we search for where we fit in with society.  As I watch Joshua search for his place in society, I've noticed he has helped Justin find acceptance within his group of friends.  It's something I haven't really been able to do for Justin and it warms my heart to see his brother attend to his needs without knowing what he is doing.
 
With that being said I've noticed my job of taking care of Justin's "special needs" is posing to be more of a challenge as he gets older.  I didn't realize there was such a big gap in people providing services for young adults with disabilities.  I call providers but they either stop taking people around age 13 or they deal with the elderly.  What are the care takers of young adults with disabilities supposed to do?  Where are we supposed to turn?  I haven't yet found my answer, but it won't stop me from continuing my search for my son.
 
In times when we can't find an answer, we have to take it one day at a time and be thankful for the needs that are taken care of.  It can be so easy to focus on what hasn't been accomplished, but it doesn't have to be like that.  Continue to work on issues that need to be taken care of, but don't forget to take a breather and enjoy life.  Don't forget to take care of yourself.
 
Going now to take a breather.  Thanks for reading.
Angela :)

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Angela, Thank you for sharing from your heart ~ you're such an encouragement and a blessing. Your family is truly gifted to have you! May the Lord continue to bless you all! Just hold onto His promises: "Call unto Me and I will answer thee.." "Seek, and ye shall find..." Love you, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so understand. My 17yo daughter has cerebral palsy and this transition to adulthood is such a long and difficult road. Thank you for the encouragement! Stopped my from Love That Max LinkUp! Now following you on BLoglov, too!

    ReplyDelete